Employer Tuition Assistance, Reimbursement, and Sponsorships
Employer tuition assistance, employer reimbursement, and employer sponsorships are when your employer agrees to pay all or part of your educational costs while attending the program. This can include tuition and fees, living expenses, books, and other expenses. This does not include being reimbursed by your company only if you return after graduation from the program.
Please note that neither the Darden School of Business nor the University of Virginia can provide you or your employer with information about how educational benefits are treated for tax purposes.
Third-Party Billing Contracts
If your employer plans to send educational payments to the University of Virginia at the beginning of each semester, you may establish a third-party billing contract between the University and your employer. This allows the University to send an invoice for your tuition and fees directly to your employer. View a sample authorization letter form.
To set up a third-party billing contract:
- Have the request printed on company letterhead and addressed to the contact listed below
- Include student name and UVA ID (or last four of SSN for government agencies)
- Indicate the start and end date of the sponsorship
- Specify tuition and fees your organization will cover
- Indicate the maximum amount that will be paid, if applicable
- Include any special billing instructions
- Include the complete billing address of your organization, include a primary contact name, email address, phone, and fax numbers
- Submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com 30 days prior to classes starting
Non Third-Party Billing Contracts
If you or your employer does not wish to set up a third-party billing contract, your employer can a check payment. Please note, the check must be received by the due date, and you should allow 2 weeks for posting of check.
Make the check out to: University of Virginia
Include the student's University ID number on the memo line
Check payments can be mailed to:
University of Virginia
Student Payment Processing
P.O. Box 400204
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904
For express delivery services that cannot deliver to PO boxes (like UPS), send to:
University of Virginia
Student Financial Services
1001 N. Emmet Street
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Reimbursement by your employer directly to you
If your employer is reimbursing you directly, you are still responsible for ensuring your bill is paid in-full and on-time each semester.
Employer sponsorships impact the amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive. If you are planning on utilizing financial aid in addition to a sponsorship, the Darden Financial Aid Office can help you determine your remaining aid eligibility.